Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry (previously St Bartholomew's and the Royal London School of Medicine and Dentistry) was formed in 1995 by a merger of St Bartholomew's Hospital Medical College and the London Hospital Medical College with Queen Mary and Westfield College, now known as Queen Mary, University of London. The Dental School opened at The London in 1911, acquiring the Dental Institute and expanding student numbers during the 1960s. In Spring 2014 the School of Dentistry moved into brand new premises – The Royal London Dental Hospital. The state of the art Hospital houses the most modern and technologically advanced equipment in the UK.
History of The London Hospital
The London Hospital was founded in 1740, as a voluntary hospital. It moved to a purpose built premises in Whitechapel in 1757.
England's first medical college was the London Hospital Medical College, established in 1785 in order to provide a lecture theatre and dissection room that was separate to the London Hospital. Sir William Blizard and James Maddocks advocated for its construction.
It soon became well-respected as a teaching hospital and developed a reputation for innovation and research.
In 1887, a new college building was opened (The Garrod Building) as the London Hospital Medical College was expanding. This new building included an anatomy lecture theatre (The Milton Lecture Theatre), a pathology museum, an anatomy museum, a library and a dissection room.
Painting of The London Hospital from the 18th Century
The London Hospital Medical College's Garrod Building, opened in 1887
History of The London Dental School
The Dental School was established in 1911 at The London Hospital
It was initially based in the Outpatients Department before moving to a purpose built premises that was built in 1965
Below are some photos of the old Dental School from the outside and inside